Social Media Influencer Marketing is a hybrid of old and new marketing tools, where a brand and influencer work together to promote the brand. These influences, unlike celebrities, are people with a high following in a niche community, and are knowledgeable about what they are advertising. Social Media Influencers create their own digital content to promote authenticity, while incorporating the advertising specifications of the company they are collaborating with.
Trust and Authenticity are Key
The benefit of collaborating with social media influencers for brands is that those influencers have gained their audience’s trust over time, and have built a loyal following. When choosing an influencer to promote their brand, companies need to consider the influencer’s authenticity, likability, and engagement rates. Transparency is necessary for influencers, and they must disclose when they are creating an advertisement for a brand, as required by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). These brands need to have built up trust with their consumers as well. A partnership between a trustworthy brand and trustworthy influencer makes for a successful marketing tactic.
Own your Niche
As a brand, it is important to publish content that is focused on a certain niche. This shows consumers that the brand is expert in specific areas. Brands and influencers benefit from shaping the conversation of what they are advertising. This includes asking questions, having new takes on a topic, and challenging existing conventions about the industry.
Agree on a Collaboration Structure
After a brand has found a social media influencer to work with, it is crucial to agree on a collaboration structure with them. The key aspects that need to be worked out are time frames for deadlines, outputs of content, content usages, payments for services, sponsored hashtags, and goals for the campaign.
Social Media Influencer Marketing is one of the most beneficial advertising tactics for brands to use in today’s time. After the 2020 global lockdowns, ecommerce became paramount for consumers. It is imperative for brands to take use of digital marketing, and create appealing content in collaboration with influencers to stay relevant.
- Mathew, Joel. “Understanding Influencer Marketing and Why It Is So Effective.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 14 Apr. 2022, https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2018/07/30/understanding-influencer-marketing-and-why-it-is-so-effective/?sh=3baf7e5771a9.
- Williams, Blair. “Three Important Influencer Marketing Tips You Should Know.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 29 Dec. 2020, https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2021/01/04/three-important-influencer-marketing-tips-you-should-know/?sh=f5408ca1447a.
- Nashville Film Institute. “Social Media Influencer – Everything You Need To Know.” NFI, 26 Apr. 2022, https://www.nfi.edu/social-media-influencer/.
- IBM Watson Advertising. “Influence Means Nothing without Trust.” IBM, 16 July 2020, https://www.ibm.com/watson-advertising/thought-leadership/influence-means-nothing-without-trust.
- McErlean, Eamon. “Make Space For All: Digital Accessibility Benefits Everyone.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 9 May 2022, https://www.forbes.com/sites/servicenow/2022/05/06/make-space-for-all-digital-accessibility-benefits-everyone/?sh=f31dfcf64ae7.
- Shewan, Dan. “8 Influencer Marketing Strategies (and Ideas) to Grow Your Reach.” WordStream, 9 Feb. 2022, https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2015/02/26/influencer-marketing.
- Keenan, Michael. “Find the Best Fit: Your Beginner’s Guide to Influencer Marketing in 2021.” Shopify, 25 June 2021, https://www.shopify.com/blog/influencer-marketing#strategy.
- Kastenholz, Christoph. “The Importance of Influencer Marketing In The ‘New Normal’ Digital Sphere.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 14 Apr. 2022, https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesagencycouncil/2021/03/02/the-importance-of-influencer-marketing-in-the-new-normal-digital-sphere/.